Monday, December 13, 2004

Matewan

This 1987 film (pronounced "Mate-wahn") was written and directed by John Sayles, one of my favorite filmmakers. It aims to document real events that concerned a small coal mining community (called Matewan) in West Virginia in 1920. The miners are trying to organize a union, much to the dismay of the company that employs them. All of the acting is great, including, in the starring role, Chris Cooper, (the Kansas City native who was the abusive father from American Beauty and who starred in another fantastic Sayles film from 1996, Lonestar), David Strathairn as the good-natured but stern police chief, and, in his only movie role ever (here at 14 years old), indie-folk legend Will Oldham, of Palace Music and Bonnie Prince Billie fame. He plays a preacher-in-training in the film, and does such a great job that it seems damn unfortunate for all of us that he didn't continue his acting career--though he would go on to make some great music, and continues to currently. It also features James Earl Jones, aka Darth Vader.

Anyway, the film is very honest, subtle and exquisite. You don't feel, as you do with many films churned out by Hollywood, that things have been altered and embellished for the sake of making it interesting--it's very natural, and it seems very real. You're confidant that Sayles is giving you the truth here, as best he can, through his visual style, restrained, natural dialogue and engaging historic atmosphere.

It's movies like this that renew my faith in period pieces. Important historical films at their best are able to capture a period and bring the audience as close as possible to experiencing the 'feel' of that time--I guess that kinda goes without saying though.

Lately I've been almost entirely disinterested in watching films from this decade and the 90s. I am more interested in reexamining the 80s (for instance, finding movies I never knew about, good or bad), and learning more about American society in the 70s, 60s, 50s, any time period really. I'm discovering lots of cool stuff (see this review and my "Badlands" post) and am sure I'll find a lot more worthwhile flicks.

2 Comments:

At December 13, 2004 at 3:06 PM, Blogger Shelby said...

Interesting, Phil; I've never heard of BugMeNot, but that's a cool resource.

So, you should go to Liberty Hall and rent this and share your thoughts.

By the way, do you have The Thin Red Line? I'm going to rent that tonight and post some shizzle about it here after viewing. I may also rent "Days of Heaven", the other Malick flick.

I guess he's currently working on his fourth movie, The New World, with Christian Bale and Colin Farell(sp?). It's about John Smith and the settlement of Jamestown...comes out Nov. '05, so nothing to get worked up over yet.

 
At December 13, 2004 at 5:37 PM, Blogger Shelby said...

People change, man. And, as I recall, it DID have at least a couple funny parts.

Can we take this shit at least 1/2 seriously? I want to have a simple forum for movie recommendations. And I'm bored and lonely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home